About Me

Monday, November 30, 2009

Lucky


So as I mentioned in my last post there was a camera kerfuffle. I left my camera out in the rain by accident of course. This picture was what I took with the camera seconds after I came in from the wet and cold. The camera was working ok but the picture was foggy...as you can see.
So I cried...and cried....and looked up tips online and tried my best to dry it off and out as quickly as possible. I thought and was told the camera was a goner. As a "what the heck" resort...I put the camera in a bowl of dried, uncooked rice for the entire Thanksgiving break (Wed-Sun) and I didn't touch it until we got home Sunday night. It appeared as though it didn't help but when I put the lense back on, the camera was clear. No problems...no fogging. I put the battery back in...and it turned on! Then I put the card back in and took some shots. It worked!!! Perfectly!!!!!
So now I am taking stock in what I have. My camera works...for now. We shall see if corrosion takes place. I have heard that sometimes things work fine and then corrosion blocks the shutter and it eventually kills the camera but here's hoping it was just condensation on the mirror from the drastic change in temperature. Long story short...I am one lucky woman.

oh...and here is the bowl of rice that may have saved my camera's life!

What I had going for me:

1-my camera did not get submerged in water...it was just in the rain
2- it was off and closed up lense cap on.
3- It did not appear to be wet inside the body of the camera just some condensation on the mirror.

Camera CPR

1- Dry off the outside of the camera
2-Take out the card and battery
3- Unhook the lense from the body.
4- Sit lense in a bowl of rice or pack it in Sil packets face down so that the water can drain out of it.
5- Use hair dryer to dry off body inside and out. Use on low setting.
6-Pack sil packs around body or place face down in a bowl of rice. Leave there for a few days. The longer it dries out the better.
7-Say a little camera prayer and hope for the best.

Oh and another quick tip I learned in this crazy awful experience...silicone packs...those little things that say don't eat... that come in shoes and purses...keep them! They are great to keep in your camera bag to keep out unwanted moisture. They are also something to pack your camera in if you were to ship it to be cleaned or brought back to life if you are so unlucky. So when shopping...keep those little things that aren't candy you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment