About Me

Thursday, October 8, 2009

No H8

So today I was thinking about what I would post and I realized that instead of showing something of mine I would post about something I want to do and would like to encourage others to look into. This series of photographs has really inspired me. Not only because they are speaking out against Proposition 8 but because they show all different people from all over the country forming together for one cause. I have been in a relationship with my partner for going on 9 years. We have shared a home for almost all of that time. We are active in our communities, we volunteer, we are good upstanding citizens.We are not able to be legally married in Maryland. This is something that I just can't understand. Our marriage wouldn't hurt anyone. Our lives would not change for the most part. We would simply be able to do everything that anyone else could do. Why is that such a problem?  A month or so ago my friends were the first gay couple to get married in Vermont. Their first wedding reception took place in our back yard on a beautiful fall afternoon. See images taken by Lessie Williams here.The photographer for their wedding in Vermont is Karen Pike. She is amazing and has wonderful images from the Marriage Equality Campaign in Vermont. She also has a variety of wedding photos taken from straight and LGBT weddings. See those images here. I find it interesting that they have had so many ceremonies and really only one counts. I can't do that. I don't want to have all these different ceremonies for each state I'm in. It seems silly...oh we are driving through Connecticut...we are legal here! Now we are back in Maryland...we're no longer married....it just seems like a really bad game of musical chairs.
This whole debate saddens me. I want my rights. I deserve them.  This weekend we are going to a march on Washington to make a statement about LGBT rights. I am hopeful that something comes of this. It has gone on too long. I'm getting impatiant. Please have a look and submit one of your own if you can.

http://www.bouska.net/noh8/gallery.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment